ADD / ADHD Children : Being Your Child`s Best Friend - By Kate Hufstetler
Do you live with an ADD / ADHD child? If so-- my hat is off to you!
ADD / ADHD children are brilliant, full of energy, smart as a whip (as grandma
says), and tons of work. They are also the rising sun and the setting star: meaning
much of life revolves around them in one way or another. One tactic you might employ
is to: be your child`s best friend.
Hear me out just a bit. I am not promoting parents in "jammies" all day-- everyday,
messy homes filled with increasing whirlwind clutter that no-one attends to, nor
hot dogs and pizza nightly just to avoid more arguing with an ADD / ADHD child.
I am suggesting the reminder we all need with these special needs children: keep
And yes-- try thinking along the lines of being best friends with your child.
Best friends are people who look out for the best interest of another.
Best friends have a special tolerance for each other.
Best friends set aside time to truly know each other and how each other thinks
Best friends stand up for one-another, for their rights, their feelings, their
health, and their needs.
Best friends look forward to more time together.
Best friends cherish each other dearly.
Best friends also speak the truth and help guide each other along the journey
of life together.
Here are more simple reminders that we easily forget when caught up in our daily
grind. I hope they will help from time to time with your ADD / ADHD parenting:
* Remember to keep the rules-- but not TOO many rules all at once all the time!
* Schedule FUN
* Stop being organized now and then to ad-lib and make delight shine for you
* Yes-- even with medicated kids some days are suddenly going to be worse than
* This is physiological-- remember?
* You are the expert in his/her eyes. Provide correction and consequences accordingly.
* Use notebooks, or better yet email, to communicate with the teacher daily.
* It is no fun for the ADD / ADHD child to be "wrong" or in trouble so much of
the day-- catch him/her being good!!
* With young ADD / ADHD children try picture charts on the wall for daily routines
* Your child needs extra reminders, extra chances, extra love, and extra encouragement
(so do you!!)
* Read The Five Love Languages of Children by Gary Chapman and Ross Campbell.
* Know the educational rights in your school district and utilize each and every
one of them :-)
* Be patient with the child, your mate, and especially yourself.
* Tenderness and politeness goes a long way with these precious ones.
* These kids love to be helpful-- utilize it, just don`t seek perfection :-)
** DON`T go It ALONE! Enlist the help of extended family, friends, neighbors,
associates, playmate families, medical professionals, and perhaps a coach for sanity.
Two myths that existed when I was a child:
The first was that the parents were always right and had all the answers.
The second one was that "You can have it all, baby".
Well, as a parent-- I know the first is NOT true. And as a working mom-- the
second is out the door as well (or at least the romanticized fantasy version of
You are a parent-- do your best. Learn every day. Ask for forgiveness. And cherish
You can design your life-- You are a parent, and an individual. You have to pick
and choose which elements will be incorporated within it, and, how you want it to
Your child needs love, fun, consideration, truth, honesty, openness, and the
gentle/firm guidance that best friend`s can give without damaging or straining the
relationship. You already have so many different hats to wear all day for your various
roles. Being your child`s best friend might simplify some of that. Give it a try.
Enjoy these years and enjoy your ADD / ADHD child !!!!
Until next time--- all the best,
Kate Hufstetler is a well established
business & personal coach who has helped many individuals like yourself to beat
"the blues" and gain control over their lives. . Her clients come from both the
United States and overseas. She offers coaching services via email and phone consultations
at flexible timing and financing to meet your every need. Through personal, business,
spiritual mentorship, she could help you too! Please visit for available packages
within your range: http://www.comedreamwithme.com/start_today.html
Reincarnation -- Part 1 of 3 Sacred Children Series - By Skye Thomas
Many years ago, my children were raised on the various teachings and concepts
of "magic" as I was studying different religions and spiritual beliefs. I had come
across many metaphysical teachings woven throughout most of the different religions.
It was very important to me that they stay authentic and real. I didn`t want them
to ever allow anyone to convince them to be something other than the beautiful souls
they already were. They took to the metaphysical teachings quite easily and naturally.
Often they already knew whatever it was I had thought I was going to teach them.
My four-year-old son asked me one morning, "Where did I live before I got into
your tummy to be born." He naturally assumed that he`d always existed despite his
lack of memory about life before being born. It was just after Valentine`s Day and
I reminded him of those cupid style angel babies that we had seen in the stores.
We had both really like all of the statues, greeting cards, and pictures of the
little cherubs. I told him that he was one of those little baby angels up in heaven
before I got pregnant with him.
He asked if his younger sister had been a cherub too. "Yes, of course." He then
double checked to make sure they had been hanging out up in heaven together waiting
to come down. He seemed satisfied with the idea that his little sister and him had
both played together as little winged babies in up in heaven waiting for their turn
to be born.
My son had heard the stories of how I had seen visions of his sister for five
years before she finally came into our lives. He wanted to know if I`d had visions
of him too. "No, just this one dream where you were running around peeing on everything.
However just because I didn`t see you ahead of time doesn`t mean that you aren`t
a wonderful and amazing gift in my life. It doesn`t mean that I don`t love you just
the same as if I had seen you coming ahead of time." He sat there nodding his head
with this wise old man`s expression on his face as he thought for awhile.
When he spoke next, I almost laughed aloud at his reasoning. So, he wanted to
know, didn`t this all mean that he was faster than his sister and had bested her
in yet another race? After all, he`d beat her by two whole years. "Yeah," I chuckled
at where his mind had gone with it all, "I guess you did." With that he ran off
to rub it in her face. He always took such pride in being bigger, faster, and older
than her. As far as he was concerned, it was proof that yet again, he was faster
Later that evening he came back to ask me some more questions, "So, if I was
in heaven before I got into your tummy and I`m going back again after I die, then
can I come back again and again if I want to?"
"There are some people who say yes you can and there are some people who say
no you can`t. They say you only get one turn at life."
"Is it okay with you if I come back again?"
"Yeah sure," I shrugged, "if you want to. I don`t see why not."
"I can come back and live again and again if I want to?"
"It`s okay with me. You can come back as many times as you want. It`s really
up to you."
With a worried look on his face he asked, "Will you be my mom every time?"
"Yes, of course, honey. I`ll always be your mom forever and ever."
His face lit up with relief at the reassurance that I`d always be here for him.
Then he asked, "So next time, can we be farmers?"
"No, absolutely not."
He did his best to argue the point, but he never could convince me to become
a farmer. I always told him that I was tired of working that hard and that I wanted
to play more in my next life. He enjoyed a childhood in which he believed that he
could be anything and everything he could dream of. He never worried about running
out of time, because he had so many lifetimes to fill.
Over the years, he`s asked many big cosmic questions about spiritual and paranormal
topics. How is it that sometimes we see visions of things before they happen? How
is it that we can talk to guardian angels that we can`t see and yet we can hear
answers? How come not everyone hears them? Who`s in charge? Why is it that the religions
are all so much alike and yet people fight so much over which one`s exactly right?
Who`s right? How is it he could have memories of being an adult Native American
warrior when he was only a young boy? Why is their music so haunting? How come he
sees Celtic symbols in his dreams at night sometimes? Why is he so attached to the
He`s in high school now and has studied many different belief systems. He`s not
so sure now that reincarnation is how it all works. He`s open to different beliefs,
but as a rather scientific type, he`s really quite skeptical and requires a lot
of proof. I encourage him to do his own research and find proof as to what really
happens after we die. He hasn`t really studied religions for quite some time now
because he`s far more interested in studying girls and bass guitars. I`m not too
worried about it because I know that the seeds of spirituality were firmly planted
in his upbringing and at some point in his future he will again look towards the
heavens for answers as to where he was before he was born.
Copyright 2003, Skye Thomas, Tomorrow`s Edge
Skye Thomas is the CEO of Tomorrow?s
Edge, an Internet leader in inspiring leaps of faith. She became a writer in 1999
after twenty years of studying spirituality, metaphysics, astrology, personal growth,
motivation, soulmates, and parenting. Her books, articles, and astrological forecasts
have inspired people of all ages and faiths to recommit themselves to the pursuit
of happiness. To read more of her articles and to sign up to receive her free weekly
newsletter, go to www.TomorrowsEdge.net.
To download free previews of her books, go to
Children articles index
- Brains on Fire: The Multimodality of Gifted Thinkers - By Brock Eide
- laying Baby Computer Games ? The New Parent-Child Tradition? - By Emma
- Book Excerpt: Einstein Never Used Flash Cards - By Kathy Hirsh-Pasek, Ph
- Putting Fun Into Parenting - By David Stoepker, Psy.D., & Erin Brown Con
- Preparing Your Child for a High-Tech Future - By Sue Sato
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder - Predominantly Inattentive
- Abandonment - By Sonya Green
- Explaining Suicide to Children - by Tracy Pierson
- Our Children`s Needs - by Robert Elias Najemy
- How to Develop Self-Esteem in Children - By J. Bailey Molineux, Ph.D.
- Helping Children Overcome Stress and Fear - By Debbie Milam
- Do you Shout at YOUR children? - By James Middleton
- Book Excerpt: Helping Children with Autism Learn - By Bryna Siegel,
- SPEED SPELLING: Another way to use speed reading skills for "schoolwork&q
- Children and Stress - By Laura Silva Quesada
- Boundaries- Why Are They Needed? - by Derek Randel & Gail Randel M.D.
- Juggling Home
- Explaining World tragedy to Children - By Chick Moorman and Thomas Ha
- Children and Pessimism - By Carol Tuttle
- Loving Yourself, Loving Your Children - By Margaret Paul, Ph.D.
- Social Manners for Children - By Susan Dunn, The EQ Coach
- The Sexual Abuse of Children - By J. Bailey Molineux
- A Few Simple Truths About ADHD and Stimulant Drugs - By Steve Edelman1,
- DYSLEXICS and A.D.D. KIDS BECOME GIFTED SPEED READERS - by George Stanc
- Using Feng Shui for Better Behaved Children - By Kathryn Weber
- Book Excerpt: Helping Children with Autism Learn - By Bryna Siegel,
- Five Keys to Raising Nonviolent Children - By Tammy Cox, LMSW
- The Best Way to Reduce Stress: Start Young - By Zach Brull
- Your Child?s Self-Esteem is in The Cards - By Susan Howson
- Calming Tips for Hyperactive Children - By Jeannine Virtue
- What is ADHD? - By Jeannine Virtue
- Talking to Your Children About Sex - By Jan Andersen
- How Our Children Really Learn And Why They Need To Play More And Memo
- HOW DO WE PROTECT OUR CHILDREN FROM PREDATORS? - By Linda J Alexander,
- Teach Children Positive Self-Image Through Fitness - By Lynn Bode
- No Invitation Needed -- Part 3 of 3 Sacred Children Series - By Skye T
- Helping Our Children Feel Good About Themselves - By Dr.Barbara Becker Hol
- Unidentified Stepfamily Zones - Discoveries Made at a Stepfamily Confer
- Divorce and Children: Things To Consider When You`re Staying Married
- Six facts you should know to empower your teaching. - By Emmanuel
- Are You in an Abusive Situation? - by Colin Gabriel Hatcher & Randall
- The Divorce Revolution Has Failed - By J. Bailey Molineux
- Is Your Child Well-Mannered? - By Mary Jesse
- Jesus` Birthday -- Part 2 of 3 Sacred Children Series - By Skye T
- Empty Nesters: What Should You Do Once the Children Leave? - By Mary Guar
- We should celebrate the diversity of children and adults - By Robyn M
- How to Cope with Back to School Stress - By Debbie Mandel
- HIS KIDS: BECOMING A W.O.W. STEPMOTHER - by Julie Donner Andersen
- ADD / ADHD Children : Being Your Child`s Best Friend - By Kate Hufst